Status: In Progress
Project Timeline: April 2019 – TBD
- Demonstrate if forage quality can be improved by seeding into existing stands & by exploring which species of legumes & grasses have the greatest potential for success in interseeding.
- Demonstrate if forage yield or carrying capacity can be increased by improved management practices such as intensive grazing or herbicide use.
- Determine if the new Vredo drill can seed into existing forage stands & if the success can be increased by improved management practices such as intensive grazing or herbicide use.
- Develop extension material, knowledge & resource people to provide strategic support to delivering on farm climate adaptation practices.
- Improve & enhance forage networks to enable a more resilient forage industry into the future.
- Set up demo plot with Mickey Zunti in Murdale showing 10 conventional rejuvenation plots compared to interseeding 15 species which included smooth bromegrass, orchardgrass, festulolium, alfalfa, birdsfoot trefoil, cicer milkvetch and sainfoin.
- Organized plot seeding of 5 different mixes in cooperation with Shell Canada on crown grazing 11 km off the Braden Road on the Sanataa.
- Seeded / monitored plots with Dave Armstong, Rolla with an alfalfa/ bromegrass blend into bare areas. (minimal success identified in fall 2020.
- Seeded grazing forage blends with Trevor O’Dwyer into a thin stand that had been overgrazed at time of seeding, then grazed in the fall, 2020.
- Set up plots with Bill Wilson with species mixes interseeded intothin stand greater than 15 years old. (minimal plants in fall 2020).
- Fall seeded plots with Fossum/ Frost of legume and grass species into an old hayfield.
- Hosted 3 field days in Aug, Sept & Oct, 2020 in Baytree, Montney & Sunset Community Pasture
- Mickey Zunti
Murdale, BC, Canada
- Shell Canada
Sanataa Road, Sunset Prairie, BC, Canada
- Bill Wilson
Silver Valley, AB, Canada
- Trevor O'Dwyer
Rolla, BC, Canada
- Dave Armstong
Rolla, BC, Canada